wierd mx record

dale dale at blueridge.net
Wed May 15 13:13:42 UTC 2002

I have a customer that hosts there own DNS. When I went out to their
site to help them with an issue. After looking at their DNS, I was
amazed to find the following as the mx portion of their DNS.
I have inserted the words "ip address" as the ip address instead of
putting theirs.

NS1   IN     A     ipaddress
      IN     MX     10 mail.domain.net.
pop   IN     A     ipaddress
      IN     MX     10 mail.domain.net.
mail  IN     A     ipaddress
      IN     MX     10 po.domain.net.
po    IN     A     ipaddress
      IN     MX     10 mail2.domain.net.

I have never seen entries such as these. Any idea why it would have
been set up with all the same weights? I am assuming DNS would just
ignore anything past the first one. Is this a correct assumuption?
Thanks for any help,

Dale Toney