Can I make it simpler?

Joseph S D Yao jsdy at center.osis.gov
Wed May 15 16:01:35 UTC 2002

On Wed, May 15, 2002 at 08:37:43AM +0100, Paul Littlefield wrote:
> Hi
>
> Thanks for replying.
>
> Apologies but my example wasn't very good.
> What I actually meant to wrote was something like...
>
> first.test.co.uk.       IN      A       192.168.0.9
> second.website.com.       IN      A       192.168.0.9
> third.website.org.       IN      A       192.168.0.9
>
> where all the test website domain names are quite different.
>
> Can I setup ONE zone for all my locally run websites, instead of creating a
> separate zone for each one?
>
> Thanks for your help!
>
>          PAULLY

Ah.

No, unless they're in the same zone, any version of BIND 8 or BIND 9
cannot be configured to do this.

Same zone:

zone "hosting.co.uk" {
	type master;
	file "zone.hosting";
};
zone.hosting:
$TTL	...
@	SOA	...
	NS	...
	NS	...

# the following is www.first.hosting.co.uk
www.first			A	1.2.3.4

# the following is www.second.hosting.co.uk
www.second.hosting.co.uk.	A	1.2.3.4

The above is legal.  But yours can't be.

This is a SECURITY FEATURE to prevent spoofing.  [Sometimes I like to
spoof.  Oh, well.]

Sorry.

--
Joe Yao				jsdy at center.osis.gov - Joseph S. D. Yao