DNS Help

Mark Damrose mdamrose at elgin.cc.il.us
Thu May 16 18:25:51 UTC 2002

"Oz" <o_k_e at yahoo.com> wrote in message news:ac0rbc$4h9a$1 at isrv4.isc.org...
> I have setup a redhat 7.2 linux box to be a gateway for my private
network.
> Ultimately in the end I want to set up nameservers for my public and
private
> networks.  The public network will have all my services such as www
server,
> mail server, fax server, and ftp server.  The private network will contain
> only client computers that will access a windows 2000 advnaced server.  I
> have been reading and reading but I think I am confusing myself.  What I
> need to know is how do I set up the nameservers for the public and private
> networks? Should the nameserver in the private be a subdomain or a whole
new
> seperate domain that is it's own root?

You probably want an internal "view" of you public network that returns the
private addresses of the public services.  Other than that it does not
really matter - do what works for you.  Many people like to contain Active
Directory and Dynamic DNS to a subdomain.

One caveat - "root" is a special term in DNS - the root of the tree that all
top level domains (i.e. .com, .net, .us, etc) are subdomains.  I don't think
that's what you meant.  If you did, I recommend against setting up your own
root.  It can be done, but it is probably beyond what a novice should
attempt.

 Where should I start, shoud I build
> the public nameservers first or does it not matter? If I am not making
sense
> please let me know.  Any and all advice is appreciated.

If they are brand new, it does not matter.  If you have an existing public
domain - start there.