DNS Configuration problem.

Barry Margolin barmar at genuity.net
Fri May 17 16:06:14 UTC 2002

In article <ac39en$5mr2$1 at isrv4.isc.org>, Paul  <paul at Bluestarlinux.com> wrote:
>A friend and i both have static ip addresses and want to run our own DNS
>servers EG :- for somedoainname.com which we have registered, we have made
>changes at our isp's end, and anyone on the internet can ping our
>nameservers (NS0.somedoainname.com and NS1.somedoainname.com ).
>
>We both have ADSL routers and have port forwarded port 53 (tcp/ip and udp)
>to the relevant machines on each ip address, these machines are both running
>RedHat Linux 7.2.
>
>If i use the ip of an internal machine as the DNS (from another machine on
>the internal network), i can ping  the correct machine, however if i use a
>DNS of any other ISP i cannot.
>
>I have read the HOWTO but still cannot figure out what i have done
>incorrectly, can anyone point me in the correct direction. ?

Have you registered your servers and the domains, so that the rest of the
Internet knows that they should go to your servers?  If not, how do you
expect them to know that your domain exists and is being hosted by your
machines?

If you told us the *real* domain I could have checked for myself.

Barry Margolin, barmar at genuity.net
Genuity, Woburn, MA