pinging problem with DNS server

Danny Mayer mayer at gis.net
Sun May 19 01:29:25 UTC 2002

At 08:36 AM 5/18/02, Pete Ehlke wrote:
>On Wed, May 15, 2002 at 10:46:57PM -0400, Danny Mayer wrote:
> >
> > DNS servers don't use ping (ICMP). What are you really seeing?  Why don't
> > you post some logs to demonstrate what you are really concerned about?
> >
>Not so fast, Danny ;)
>
>AIX 4.3.3 servers will do exactly that. They're attempting to perform
>PMTUD using ICMP, and they do it with every host they talk to. It was an
>ugly practice, and IBM dropped it pretty quickly.

Gag! That's not a BIND DNS server then!  I can imagine the overhead involved
in doing this, particularly if the server is busy.  Of course, the
resolvers are far
more likely to timeout the request in a situation like this and go to the next
available DNS server.

Uninstall whatever is running on that machine and install BIND.

>-Pete
>
> > At 10:21 AM 5/14/02, Matt A wrote:
> > >Hi,
> > >
> > >We're running AIX 4.3.3 with Bind 4.9.x
> > >
> > >Our DNS server appears to be pinging each host that makes a request to it.
> > >Obviously this generates a lot of unwanted traffic. Any ideas how to turn
> > >this off?
> > >
> > >Thanks
> > >
> > >Matt
> > >mda at unb.ca
> > >

>--
>"religious fanatics are not part of my desired user base."
>- djb at cr.yp.to

         Danny