[HELP NEEDED] Master? Slave? Zones? No primary? No secondary?

phn at icke-reklam.ipsec.nu phn at icke-reklam.ipsec.nu
Sun May 19 09:38:59 UTC 2002

runDLL <rundll at bihcafe.com> wrote:
> My company have just purchased a dedicated linux server (running RH7.2);

> We have registered a domain while ago before we got our server, and now I'd
> like to host our domain on our new server.
> We have received from the company that rents us the server it's IP and root
> password.

>     BIND 8/9.x and 4 is installed, and 8/9 is running (not sure for the
> version, sorry).

> There's no primary/secondary stuff that I could find in using webmin in bind
> server configuration...

>     And, to "point" our old domain to our "domainless" server, I guess we
> need a primary and secondary NS up and running.

> That would require 2 IP addresses, and we have only one. Secondary should be
> an easy thing to do after we manage to set up our primary NS, hopefully. So,
> basically, what I need is someone with a minute or two to point me to the
> "right path". I have been reading the fine manuals for almost 24 hours
> non-stop, but I couldn't find anything usefull. All the FAQ's, mailing list
> archieves, nothing.
> Our hosting company doesn't offer any support for this, but they said:

>    "we offer master/primary DNS as well as slave/secondary DNS for an
> addtional fee.
>     Most customers run master DNS on their server and just pay us for slave
> dns service.
>     submit the domain name you would like us to provide DNS for and we'll be
> happy to provide primary and secondary for it.
> $50/year/domain Primary DNS
> $20/year/domain Secondary DNS
> $100/year/domain Secondary MX Record"

> Any help WOULD be greatly appreciated and honored. Please, don't ignore this
> post, remember those days when you have been asking similar questions.. :)

You have more then one question here. "Howto DNS" is one, "HOWTO find a slave"
another.

HOWTO DNS is expressed in teh book "Managing DNS and BIND" ( you can do it by
reading manpages and RFC's, but it's timeconsuming. I know, i once did this, and
i won't do it again :-) .
There is also numerous examples, "http://www.ripe.net/ripe/docs/ripe-192.html" is one
of them. A third possibility is to pay a knowledgebal person to do this
one-time job, ( maybe be the most cost-efficient consulting offered on Internet )

Your second question "HOWTO slave" , ask your ISP whenever you know howto
do your first task. There is also companies like "secondary.com" that does an
excellent job for fre or a very low cost.

At last, you also have to ask your registry to delegate to your nameservers.
This cannot be done until you know who they are.

And, feel free to post more questions here, thats one of the reasons this
list exists.

Peter h

--
Peter Håkanson