w2k does it really need dynamic update?

Barry Finkel b19141 at achilles.ctd.anl.gov
Mon May 20 14:20:48 UTC 2002

wes at osds.com (Wes Kaufmann) wrote:

>Thanks All,  Kerberos is broken but things still work!!.  Anyway I'll
>try the static entry and see if I can get kerberos running other wise
>I'll probably create a zone for w2k and xp to do their own thing.  But
>I may speak to quick, I'll read the article Peter suggested.

You can have Netlogon write a netlogon.dns file,
FTP that file to your BIND server,
and $INCLUDE that file in the zone file.

Once a DC is up and stable, the four W2k "_" zones have very little
activity (and fewer serial number updates if Q318443 is installed).
If you disable self-registration of W2k Workstations (either manually
or via group policy), you really do not need dynamic DNS for W2k.

For more information see the list archives, where W2k-BIND interaction
has been discussed at length.
Barry S. Finkel
Electronics and Computing Technologies Division
Building 222, Room D209              Internet: BSFinkel at anl.gov