timeouts using forwarder directive

Kevin Darcy kcd at daimlerchrysler.com
Wed May 22 20:27:34 UTC 2002

ashwin at comstocksys.com wrote:

> Hi,
>
> I'm running a SPLIT-DNS server on a Redhat Linux 7.1 box on a single
> interface using IP aliases. I'm using BIND 9.1.0-10 for named
> services. I'm using the forwarder directive on my internal name server
> & am forwarding non-local queries to my external name server.
> My external name server queries & resolves other hostnames &
> nameservers flawlessly without much delay but my internal name server
> (or maybe my client) very often times out on the first attempt of the
> query. That is when I use dig or nslookup to resolve any non-local
> name/address using my internal nameserver, it does forward queries to
> the external nameserver (I see it in the logs), but mostly on the 1st
> attempt of the query, I get timeouts from the internal nameserver.
> When I do the same query again on the internal nameserver, it is now
> able to resolve the name on the 2nd attempt.
> However when I comment out the forwarder directive & use the root
> hints on the internal name server, the queries take no time to
> resolve.

So, why are you using forwarding at all?

> Also on a second note, everytime I start/restart the named services, I
> see occurrances of the following error message:
>
> notify failed: not authoritative for notify zone (REFUSED)

Are you seeing this on the master? If this is on the master, I'd say
something was wrong with the zone file, such that the master isn't
zone, and is thus declining to send NOTIFYs for it. If this were the
case, though, you should see other messages accompanying this one,
detailing what is wrong with the master zone. If you're seeing this on a
non-master server, it's probably because it's lame for some zone, i.e.
the zone has been delegated to it, but there is no relevant "type
slave" zone definition in named.conf.