[NEWBIE] 2 DNS on the same box

phn at icke-reklam.ipsec.nu phn at icke-reklam.ipsec.nu
Thu May 23 19:50:38 UTC 2002

SuperEdo <superedo.geo at yahoo.com> wrote:

> OK.
> I know that is not serious, it's dangerous, it's a non-sense etc.etc.

There is special cases where it's nice ( such as beeing able to
run several bind in my laptop for training session for dns classes)

In fact, when i run my dns-class i use 14 bind's in my laptop. 13
using the root-servers addresses and the 14'th running as TLD registrar.
That way the students will be able to create their own Internet during
the excersizes, and we have full control over all zones. Very handy !

> but I'd like to know if I can use only 1 box running 1 BIND in order to
> show 2 NS are running.
> I will assign 2 ip to my box with BIND8 installed and I register IP1 as
> ns1.mydomain.com and IP2 as ns2.mydomain.com, and then I set up
> ns1.mydomain.com as primary nameserver and ns2.mydomain.com as secondary
> in my registrar panel.
> Will it work?

Yes

> Will the only BIND, acting obiouvsly as master only, reply properly to
> requests directed to ns1 & ns2?

it has nothing to do with maste/slave . You just create one
config file for each bind, containg a "listen-on" statement
reflecting which ip-address to listen to, and start the bind's
with a -c <the-config-file>