NEWBIE: Why this zone file fails?

Barry Margolin barmar at genuity.net
Fri May 24 17:35:38 UTC 2002

In article <aclng2$b9h$1 at isrv4.isc.org>,
Batara Kesuma  <bkesuma at REMOVECAPITALS.yahoo.com> wrote:
>-- file: my-box.com.zone --
>
>$TTL 3h
>@ IN SOA my-box.com. root.my-box.com. ( 200205241943 3h 1h 1w 1h )

You don't need the parentheses if all the fields are on the same line.  I'm
not sure if it causes a problem the way you've written, but it could.

>my-box.com. IN NS ns.my-box.com.

That line should be:

my-box.com. IN NS my-box.com.

because NS records should not point to CNAME records.

>localhost.my-box.com.        IN A 127.0.0.1
>my-box.com.                  IN A 192.168.0.1
>
>ns.my-box.com. IN CNAME my-box.com.
>www.my-box.com. IN CNAME my-box.com.
>ftp.my-box.com. IN CNAME my-box.com.
>mail.my-box.com. IN CNAME my-box.com.
>
>my-box.com. IN MX 10 my-box.com.
>
>--
>
>But it fails. What did I do wrong?

What do the log messages say when it fails?  They should pinpoint the exact
lines with the problems.

Barry Margolin, barmar at genuity.net
Genuity, Woburn, MA