Reverse ARPA on host boundary

phn at icke-reklam.ipsec.nu phn at icke-reklam.ipsec.nu
Thu May 30 16:31:06 UTC 2002

Michael C. Cambria <cambria at world.std.com> wrote:

> Is it possible to define one host as a domain?  I've tried setting
> this up to the point of the reverse arpa.

Yes.
Hint : a domain, the entity that may be delegated, can be assiciated
with 'A' records and in your case 'PTR' records.

A zonefile might be :

$TTL 86400
@	IN	SOA  < stuff>
	IN	NS	<fqdn>
	IN	NS	<another NS>
	IN	PTR	fully.qualified.name.tld.

> Is it possible to define the reverse arpa file to just one host (e.g.
> not a subnet)?  A host is on a byte boundary, nothing I read about
> non-byte boundaries helped.

It will help, you just have to "get into the right mood" :-)

> I have a single IP address from my provider (who will not cooperate on
> DNS).

If your ISP don't cooperate you are out of luck.

> Behind this (NAT/FW) box will be private IP addresses, with their own
> name server  Thus, for security, their IP addresses (and names) are
> hidden.

> Any suggestions?

Switch ISP

--