Bind9.2.1 on WIN2K

Danny Mayer mayer at gis.net
Fri May 31 01:23:31 UTC 2002

At 02:51 PM 5/30/02, Bjorn Johansson wrote:
>Hi,
>
>I'm in the process of trying to get a test Bind9.2.1 system up and
>running under Win2K.
>
>I'm currently experiencing the following problem:
>
>I've installed Bind on the machine in question, copied db.cache,
>NAMED.127.0.0 and named.conf files, from an existing Bind8.2.5 server,
>to the 'etc' directory of the test machine(content of files below).
>
>When I try to start the service, it fails with the message 'Error 1067'.

This happens when the service can't find one of the files like named.conf.
In this case it couldn't find the zone files.

>The following three errors are what shows up in the event log:
>could not configure root hints from 'db.cache': file not found
>could not configure root hints from 'db.cache': file not found
>
>Any suggestions as to what the problem is, would be gratefully received.

Yes, you need to add a directory statement to named.conf to tell it where
to find the files:

options
{
directory "c:\winnt\system32\dns\etc";
};

This is due to the fact that a service has no default directory so you need to
tell it where to look.

>named.conf:
>// Logs transfer in and transfer out, in the eventlog.
>
>logging {
>      category xfer-in { default_syslog; };
>      category xfer-out { default_syslog; };
>};
>
>// -----------------------------------------------------------
>// File:       named.boot
>// Purpose:    give the DNS its startup parameters and
>// list of startup files.
>//
>// establish a loopback entry for this machine, and tell
>// it to load its identity from named.127.0.0
>// -----------------------------------------------------------
>
>zone "0.0.127.IN-ADDR.ARPA" {
>         type master;
>         file "named.127.0.0";
>};
>
>// -----------------------------------------------------------
>// prime the DNS with root server 'hint' information
>
>zone "." {
>         type hint;
>         file "db.cache";
>};