non-recursive request to forwarders

Valentin Nechayev netch at netch.kiev.ua
Fri Nov 1 14:16:43 UTC 2002

 Fri, Nov 01, 2002 at 11:07:18, Simon wrote about "Re: non-recursive request to forwarders":

> So it boils down to;
> "My connectivity isn't very reliable, can I steal bandwidth and
> resource from people with more reliable connectivity?"

No. This is invalid point. There is no stealing, there is using of
local resources.

> Well the answer is you can't easily, if they monitor who is
> issuing recursive queries, they will see you, if you issue
> non-recursive queries the answers will be incomplete and not
> authoritative,

If someone queries nameserver of something zone for data in this zone,
answer will be authoritative.
I don't want to specify forwarders which aren't public servers of the zone.

> Probably the best bet is to ask if you can slave the UA zone,
> then you'll have all the UA delegation information to hand for
> 35 days at a stretch.

First, please dont consider UA. Please consider any large network with
stable internal connectivity, possibly corporate or academic network,
but without common administration.
Second, it isn't correct to keep slave copy.

> Off the top of my head, I think whether the UA domain has glue
> is irrelevant if the route to the IP is unreachable. The only
> server in the Ukraine (at a guess, maybe kolo?) for UA is
> ns.lucky.net,
> things should work if you ensure you have good
> connectivity to these people..... Who is responsible for your
> peering?

There are a few internet exchange points.

> Oh and a UA oddity, ns.kolo.net doesn't offer recursion, but
> still returns additional data from cache, given it appears to
> have a fair chunk of data cached, probably a bad move, but not
> as bad as offering recursion.

Named replies with its cache contents applicable to the query even in case
of non-recursive answer (both with recursion denied or not requested).
There are no way now to refuse it without full queries denying, and I don't
want to see such variant. And it has *nothing* common with my question.
Algorithm used in named when executing recursive queries, has feature that
its queries for this task are nonrecursive.
Idea of requested feature was to enter hook for changing sequence of
such queries.

> I'm sure there is more grit in the cogs if ones looks for it.

I'm not so familiar in English as to solve such enigmas...

/netch