non-recursive request to forwarders

Cricket Liu cricket at menandmice.com
Fri Nov 1 17:14:38 UTC 2002

Valentin Nechayev wrote:
> This isn't good. Stub zone caches only NS names; and addresses which
> are in glue records, which aren't typical for TLD. E.g. zone "ua" has
> none glue records. The same for "ru" (1 glue, 6 others), "us" (0
> glue), "uk" (1 glue of 4), "de" (5 glue of 11), etc.

Yes, but after your name server has cached the NS records and any necessary
glue, it will send non-recursive queries to (for example) the ua name
servers to
resolve domain names ending with ua, which (I thought) was what you wanted.

> On loading stub zone, named (8.3.3) gets only NS names and has to get
> their addresses from the very beginning, quering root servers.

named would get any necessary glue A RRs directly from the name server
listed in the masters substatement.  But yes, it would get the A RRs for
other name servers using sysqueries.

> But idea was to skip queries to root servers (and gtld-servers) for zones
> which are familiar, this can be made stably only using forward zones.

But you can't use forward zones to send non-recursive queries.

cricket

Men & Mice
DNS Software, Training and Consulting
www.menandmice.com

The DNS and BIND Cookbook, available now!
http://www.oreilly.com/catalog/dnsbindckbk/