A configuration of Bind 9

Kevin Darcy kcd at daimlerchrysler.com
Fri Nov 1 23:31:36 UTC 2002

boca wrote:

> Hi, all
>   About MX query, If I want to let DNS server only reply MX record
> without additional record ( ip address of mail host ), how to do it ?
> or can Bind be configured this ?

Take a look at the "minimal-responses" option.

Are you doing to this hide your RFC 1918 (e.g. 192.168.*.*) A records
from external resolvers? If so, be aware that those A records may still
be available to resolvers through other types of queries, and could
potentially poison caches. You may instead want to look into
implementing "view"s so that external resolvers will never get the
RFC 1918 A records, regardless of what kind of query they send. It's
more efficient to send back the (proper) A records in the response to
the MX query anyway, so overall "view"s are a better solution to that
particular problem.