Updating zone files without restarting the service.

Danny Mayer mayer at gis.net
Sat Nov 2 21:03:30 UTC 2002

At 07:11 PM 10/29/02, Simon Waters wrote:
>Use of signals is frowned upon, in case the authors redefine
>them, the appropriate method would be the {r}ndc method in
>Cricket's response (which is less typing as well).

On Win32 BIND8 uses either BINDCmd reload (comand line option)
or BINDCtrl (GUI).  Neither takes an argument because of the limited
implementation.

On Win32 BIND 9 uses rndc.

>Do signals even work on the Microsoft implementations? I assume
>they would if you have the tools to send them.

The only version of kill that works on Windows will kill the process.
Signal options like HUP would be ignored. Since Win32 uses a system
service, the proper way (outside of the BIND-supplied tools) is to use
net stop, net start or use the Systems Service GUI interface. I don't
recommend using kill unless there's no other way.

Danny