Zonefiles and DynDNS DHCP Update Problem

Kevin Darcy kcd at daimlerchrysler.com
Wed Nov 6 23:46:27 UTC 2002

brainyartist wrote:

> Hi Folks,
>
> I'm using Suse Linux 8.0 and installed the DHCP server (v3) and bind9.
> The DHCP server works fine, and tries to update the DNS. This seems to
> be working too, but if I test it with: "host name", I get an error.
> But the reverse lookup works correctly, when I try "host ip" (then
> I'll get the name).
> Here are the config files (the parts):
>
> #dhcpd.conf
>
> option domain-name "museumsdienste";
> option domain-name-servers 192.168.10.1;
> ddns-update-style interim;
> ddns-domainname "museumsdienste";
> update-static-leases true;
>
> key DHCP_UPDATER
> {
> algorithm HMAC-MD5.SIG-ALG.REG.INT;
> secret (secret);
> };
>
> zone museumsdienste.
> {
> primary 192.168.10.1;
> key DHCP_UPDATER;
> }
>
> zone 10.168.192.in-addr.arpa.
> {
> primary 192.168.10.1;
> key DHCP_UPDATER;
> }
>
> #named.conf
>
> options
> {
> auth-nxdomain yes;
> directory "var/named";
> forwarders { 213.128.64.11; };
> listen-on port 53 { 192.168.10.1; 127.0.0.1; };
> notify no;
> }
>
> #selbst definierte zonen
> key DHCP_UPDATER
> {
> algorithm HMAC-MD5.SIG-ALG.REG.INT;
> secret (secret);
> };
> zone "museumsdienste"
> {
> type master;
> file "/var/named/intranet.zone";
> allow-update { key DHCP_UPDATER; };
> notify yes;
> };
>
> zone "10.168.192.in-addr.arpa"
> {
> type master;
> file "/var/named/intranet.reversezone";
> allow-update { key DHCP_UPDATER; };
> notify yes;
> };
>
> Zonenfiles (This one doesn't work):
>
> #intranet.zone
> $TTL 2D
> @ IN SOA server root.server.museumsdienste.
> (
> 2002100901
> 1D
> 2H
> 1W
> 2D
> )
>
> IN NS server
>
> #intranet.reversezone works fine
> $TTL 2D
> 10.168.192.in-addr.arpa IN SOA server. root.server.
> (
> 2002100903
> 1D
> [...]

I was able to run named-checkzone (from BIND 9.2.2rc1) just fine on that
zone file, once I cleaned it up a little, i.e. moving the open
parenthesis to the first line of the SOA RR, and putting some whitespace
at the front of the NS RR.

Did your mailer mess up the presentation of your zonefile like that, or
are those its actual contents?

You might also want to delete the .jnl file, since apparently that's
confusing named-checkzone.