Cache strangeness

Robert Weber Robert.Weber at Colorado.EDU
Wed Nov 6 23:55:41 UTC 2002

> > This is not a function that we wish to support, can this be turned off?
>
> 	Do you really know the impact of turning this off?
>
> 	The root servers are currently spend the vast majority of
> 	there time (> 90%) repeatedly answering negative queries
> 	that could have been avoided if the clients supported
> 	negative caching.
>
> 	Yes, you can tune it but don't turn it off.  You are doing
> 	a disservice to everyone if you do so.

Ok, I'm starting to see the rational behind this now.  I guess the major
problem in my case was that the domain in question had such a high ttl that
this problem came up.  Normally with 3 hours I doubt that this would be an
issue, but the question I have now, is why did it appear to cache longer
than the default?

--
<!-- |**|begin egp html banner/			UnixOps/ITS