How to set the Slave DNS Server ?

Kevin Chan kevinchan at trasy.com
Wed Nov 13 04:00:14 UTC 2002

Hi Kevin Darcy and all,

Thanks Kevin.D reply my question so fast !

1. I would like to ask how I can add a "masters" clause to each of those,
specifying the master's IP address on Slave DNS Server's /etc/named.conf?

2. Also, before sync the setting to Slave DNS Server.  Please help me to
confirm the zone IP file [as below] which is get from Master DNS Server is
correct or not (because I add the ns2 setting on it) ?  (Do I need to add
ns2 setting on these file or not ?)

$TTL 86400
@       IN      SOA     ns1.kevin.com. root.ns1.kevin.com. (
                        200211131       ; Serial
                        8H              ; Refresh
                        2H              ; Retry
                        4W              ; Expire
                        1D)             ; Minimum TTL
        NS      ns1.kevin.com.
        NS      ns2.kevin.com.
;
;       Servers
;
57     PTR     ns1.kevin.com.
58     PTR     ns2.kevin.com.
59     PTR     www.kevin.com.
60     PTR     pop.kevin.com.
61     PTR     smtp.kevin.com.

3. Also, before sync the setting to Slave DNS Server.  Please help me to
confirm the zone name file [as below] which is get from Master DNS Server is
correct or not (because I add the ns2 setting on it) ?  (Do I need to add
ns2 setting on these file or not ?)

$TTL 86400
@               IN      SOA     ns1.kevin.com. root.ns1.kevin.com. (
                                200211131 ; Serial
                                8H              ; Refresh
                                2H              ; Retry
                                4W              ; Expire
                                1D)             ; Minimum
                        NS      ns1.kevin.com.
        IN      MX      10      smtp.kevin.com.
kevin.com.    A       xxx.xxx.xxx.57
ns1                A       xxx.xxx.xxx.57
ns2                A       xxx.xxx.xxx.58
www             A       xxx.xxx.xxx.59
pop               A       xxx.xxx.xxx.60
smtp             A        xxx.xxx.xxx.61

Thanks and regards,
Kevin Chan

> Kevin Darcy Wrote:
>

> Kevin Chan wrote:
>
> > Hi all,
> >
> > I am a newbie on BIND and I am using BIND 8.   I was successful to setup
> > Primary DNS Server on my domain but I don't know how to set the Slave
DNS
> > Server.
> >
> > 1. What files I need to change on Primary DNS Server ?
>
> Unless you're restricting zone transfers (via allow-transfer), or want to
> enable certain enhanced server-to-server features (such as altering the
> default format of zone transfers, or signing server-to-server transactions
> with a TSIG key), you shouldn't need to change anything on the master.
>
> > 2. Do I need to copy the /etc/named.conf and all zone file from Primary
DNS