Newbie Questions about name serving

Kevin Darcy kcd at daimlerchrysler.com
Wed Nov 13 21:17:30 UTC 2002

Wayne Kidd wrote:

> I would like to be (provide) the primary name server for my registered
> domain.  How do I go about doing that

You need a couple of functional nameservers on static IP addresses to
serve the zone, and then once that is in place, you need to change your
registration so that the domain name is delegated to those nameservers.

> and what prevents someone else
> from supplying their own ip address when my domain name is queried.

Well, they are certainly free to delude *themselves* about the resolution
of your domain name, but they can't delude anyone else about the name
unless they can spoof the address(es) of your nameserver(s), or unless
they can poison the cache of other nameservers somehow with bogus
information.

> Could I also be the primary for some of my customes?

You mean, serve DNS for their domains to the Internet? Yes. But unless
you are listed as a contact for the domains in question, the customers
will have to either make you a contact for their domains, or they will
have to initiate the delegation changes themselves.