WKS records

Cricket Liu cricket at menandmice.com
Thu Nov 14 03:55:52 UTC 2002

Mike Diggins wrote:
> I attempted an upgrade from Bind 8.2.4 to 9.2.1 this morning but ran
> into a problem with some WKS records. We have a few incorrect ones
> that Bind 8 was happy to ignore but 9 refuses to load that zone with
> the error. I can fix the obvious problems but will have to update our
> Web Application to prevent someone from entering invalid WKS data
> which would prevent the zone from loading! Until I can get that done,
> is there a setting that will allow BIND 9 to load the zone despite
> those errors?
>
> Also, are the WKS records at all important these days? They seem to go
> against common security sense advertising your services that way?
> Perhaps I should just dump them altogether?

I only know of one application (a device really) that ever used WKS
records.  Their use has been deprecated for some time.  Unless you
have a particular use for them, delete 'em.

cricket

Men & Mice
DNS Software, Training and Consulting
www.menandmice.com

The DNS and BIND Cookbook, available now!
http://www.oreilly.com/catalog/dnsbindckbk/