rpm install with "--disable-threads" for 9.2.1x ??

Bill Schoolcraft bill at linuxcare.com
Thu Nov 14 17:49:35 UTC 2002

Pete Ehlke wrote:

> On Thu, Nov 14, 2002 at 07:01:35AM -0800, Bill Schoolcraft wrote:
> >
> > Hello,
> >
> > In reading the article at
> > http://sysadmin.oreilly.com/news/dnsandbind_0401.html it mentions the
> > one can use "--disable-threads" with the ./configure from the tarball.
> >
> > Is there a way to do this with the rpm versions ?
>
> No. This is a compile time option.
>
> > I was upgrading an old redhat-6.2 machine with the updates at
> > (https://rhn.redhat.com/errata/RHSA-2002-133.html#Red Hat Linux 6.2) and
> > of course the older kernel didn't support threads.
> >
> > Other than convincing the owner of that machine to put a new kernel in
> > is there an "rpm" option to solving this problem ?
> >
> Build your own rpm with a non-threaded server.

Yes, I took the source rpm, did a "rpm -ivh" to that to install the
sources in /usr/src/redhat/SOURCES/ "AND" the bind.spec file in
/usr/src/redhat/SPECS/ and then edited the "bind.spec" file to reflect
"--disable-threads" and then while in the dir called
/usr/src/redhat/SPECS/ ran the command "rpm -bb bind.spec" and it's
currently building the new binaries right now without threads.

Thanks for everyones help. :)

--
Bill Schoolcraft, Unix/Linux System Engineer
650 Townsend Street, San Francisco, CA 94103