[weird] Re: rpm install with "--disable-threads" for 9.2.1x ??

Bill Schoolcraft bill at linuxcare.com
Thu Nov 14 19:04:50 UTC 2002

Joseph S D Yao wrote:

> On Thu, Nov 14, 2002 at 10:11:02AM -0800, Bill Schoolcraft wrote:
> > I just installed the NEW rpm's that I rebuilt with no threads and wanted
> > to see what type of error I got if I tried to run the NEW 9.2.1.x with
> > my OLD 8.2.3 files and there was NO error, I thought that 9x is not
> > compatible with 8x files???
>
> You thought wrong.  Isn't it nice, for once, to have thought that there
> were MORE problems than there actually were?  ;-)

For a change, yes. :)

> See doc/misc/migration for the few changes that might be needed.

Taking it on my lunch break now to read. (burp..)

> Why did you build RPMs?  Unless you have multiple systems with the same
> OS on which to load these, or you rely on the RPM bookkeeppingg [;-)],

Well, two fold.

(A) The system in question was an old redhat-6.2; 2.2.14 kernel with
no-threading, and I was hoping just to do a simple rpm -Fvh (freshen) to
keep all my startup scripts intact. That decision was made easy "since"
I found the newest rpms on redhat's site.

(B) The system is coming up for a complete rebuild with the newer rh-7.3
system soon and this was just a form of exercise prompted by the latest
BIND scare.

The best part was the new information I learned about the bind.spec file
with this process. Usually these rpm installs DO spoil us/me and it was
nice to go hack into something to get it to work.  :)

Thanks for your reply.

--
Bill Schoolcraft, Unix/Linux System Engineer
650 Townsend Street, San Francisco, CA 94103