Recent ISS Security Announcement

Ragnar Paulson ragnar at wanware.com
Thu Nov 14 20:23:23 UTC 2002

Forgive me if this has been hashed out already. I searched the archives =
at Marc and didn't find what I was looking for. =20

The ISS security announcement about SIG RR suggests that a nameserver =
doing a recursive lookup for a client can cache bad data that may lead =
to an exploit.  There is no known exploit.  Have I understand this =
correctly? =20

What is not clear to me at all is who can cause the buffer overflow?  =
The client for whom the dns is doing the recursion or the malicious =
remote nameserver that sent the bad "SIG RR"?  =20

Put another way,  if I have named/bind configure to only allow recursion =
to local users ... is this still remotely exploitable? =20

Thanks in advance,
Ragnar Paulson

----
Ragnar Paulson                   ragnar at wanware.com