DNS Problem: Help!

Ragnar Paulson ragnar at wanware.com
Sat Nov 16 20:44:47 UTC 2002

> We're having an odd problem with one ISP whose customers make use of our
> University network resources. The problem is that our name servers are
> finding incorrect Authoritative name servers for the IP address in
> question (actually a range of addresses beginning at 24.57.128.0 - not
> their entire address space, just part of it). The IP address for their
> name server NS.CGOCABLE.NET comes back as 24.226.1.11 which is wrong, it's
> not even a name server. It should be 24.226.1.94! If I restart named it
> sometimes picks up the correct address. I just restarted both my name
> servers and find that they have, once again, an incorrect address.

Are you trying to resolve an ip address to a name or vice versa?  The NS
records for cgocable.net. in the gtld servers are
NS2.cgocable.net and ns4.cgocable.net.   Those servers return 24.226.1.94
for ns.cgocable.net but that is just an address record.

I see no delegation for 128.57.24.in-addr.arpa. at all.  So reverse name
lookups in that range don't work for me at all.

Ragnar