New version of Bind8 for W2k?

Danny Mayer mayer at gis.net
Sun Nov 17 22:39:34 UTC 2002

At 05:44 AM 11/15/02, Bjorn Johansson wrote:
>Hi,
>
>Just a short note to find out if you know when a 'safe' version of Bind8
>will be released for W2k?
>
>As far as I know the 'bug' in Bind9.2.1 for W2k is still not sorted, so
>where unable to move to that version at this time.
>
>The problem we had with Bind9.2.1 for Winnt4/W2k was:
>The problem is I keep getting the following message, over and over again
>in the event log:
>'socket: too many open file descriptors'
>and
>'accept: too many open file descriptors'

These errors have an interesting cause and the error message is in fact
misleading. What has happened is that the value of the socket descriptor
returned is very large. Windows allows the socket descriptor to be any
unsigned 32-bit integer, while Unix systems use a signed 32-bit integer
but have an upper limit on the value. The error message should say that
the value is too large, though this is misleading too since the value is
still valid. When debugging Windows apps, I usually see values ranging
betweeen 500 and 2000. However, one in a while, I see a very large
number. I'm not sure why, but I suspect the O/S. In any case, if it wasn't
for the check being done (and the messages) named would have
gone beyond the end of several arrays which would have been even more
disasterous for named. This is the reason that it was not just a matter
of fixing the Win32 socket code. It had to be rewritten to avoid all of these
problems.

>It keeps writing the above, until Bind eventually stops.
>
>Does anybody know if the above problem has been sorted?

Yes, in BIND 9.3.0.

>Regards,
>--
>Bjorn Johansson