Variation on the reset serial theme

Gregory Hicks ghicks at cadence.com
Mon Nov 18 17:22:28 UTC 2002

I did this once't... (Dog-gone fat fingers!)

Just set the TTL and related numbers to a REAL small number, waited for it to
propogate (1 hour), then changed the serial number to the real number and waited
for this to time out as well.  Use the formula to calculate smallest set of
times you can use...  It is possible to get it below an hour.

Bumped the serial number as well as putting the real SOA back in, and Voila!
things working again.

YMMV, as this was my experience...

Regards,
Gregory Hicks

> To: comp-protocols-dns-bind at isc.org
> From: npa at glocalnet.com (James Wilde)
> Subject: Variation on the reset serial theme
> Date: 18 Nov 2002 01:50:07 -0800
>

> Please post replies only to the group.  This mail comes from an
> account which does not accept incoming mail.
>
> Standard problem.  We use CCYYMMDD##.  All fine and dandy.  Add
> 2147483647 and subtract 4294967296 if the result is over 4294967295.
>
> Problem is that I accidentally used CCYYMMDD###, so even when I have
> subtracted 4294967296, the number exceeds 4294967295.  I have to
> subtract 4294967296 several times before I get a number that is under
> the magic limit.
>
> I saw a message from Katharine somthing from 1997 saying that one must
> do the first addition and subtraction and use the result as a serial
> number, wait for all slaves to react, repeat the addition and
> subtraction, wait again, and so on until one has a serial under the
> limit.  Is this so, or can I make several subtractions in one go and
> use the result?
>
> We're presently using version 8, upgrading later today to 9.
>
> TIA
>
> James

Gregory Hicks                        | Principal Systems Engineer
Cadence Design Systems               | Direct:   408.576.3609
555 River Oaks Pkwy M/S 6B1          | Fax:      408.894.3400
San Jose, CA 95134                   | Internet: ghicks at cadence.com

"The trouble with doing anything right the first time is that nobody
appreciates how difficult it was."

When a team of dedicated individuals makes a commitment to act as
one...  the sky's the limit.

You can have it done good, fast, or cheap -- pick any two.