root hints update ?

Doug Barton DougB at DougBarton.net
Tue Nov 19 17:49:21 UTC 2002

On 19 Nov 2002, those who know me have no need of my name wrote:

> in comp.protocols.dns.bind i read:
> >On 19 Nov 2002, those who know me have no need of my name wrote:
> >> in comp.protocols.dns.bind i read:

> >> you mean the one that is the subject of many threads in this and many
> >> other groups and lists.
> >
> >This response really isn't helpful.
>
> that's one way to see it.  another is that it is confirmation (though heavy
> with sarcasm) that there have been many messages on the topic.

Right, which isn't helpful. All you've done is sarcastically insult
someone who is asking for help.

> >If the poster was aware of what you describe, they wouldn't have posted
> >here.
>
> i agree.  with any luck my response convinced the poster to review
> available messages `here' (their mailbox and/or newsgroup) and the archive.

The only possible way that you could encourage someone to do that would be
to actually tell them what resources are available, and suggest that they
review them. All you did here was make yourself feel good about how cool
and knowledgeable you are, and how stupid the guy who posted is.

In short, if you can't take the time to generate a useful response, don't
respond at all. Certainly don't bother sending sarcastic, insulting
messages to the list; we get enough of that already.

Doug