Professional tool for administering DNS

phn at icke-reklam.ipsec.nu phn at icke-reklam.ipsec.nu
Tue Nov 19 18:24:45 UTC 2002

Mimmus <viggiani at hotmail.com> wrote:
> I like 'vi' but, if you make a typo-error (':' instead ';' for istance)=
, you
> invalidate the whole zone. It happened to me some time ago and DNS was
> unavailable for half a day.
> Instead, a good program generating zone files from a backend database c=
ould
> solve many problems.
> I don't think that Verisign/Network Solutions manage .com zones with 'v=
i'!

> Thanks for discussion.
> Mimmus

What i would recommend is "a favorite editor" + sanity checking=20
of both config and all zonefiles. Could be done via a simple
makefile that is executed and which will do a rndc reload when=20
everything has passed checks.

bind-9 even includes tools to do this, named-check[conf | zone]

Using a gui or generating from a backend does not guarrantee that
the result is flawless. You will only get a dramatically longer
and troublesome troubleshooting process.

--=20
Peter H=E5kanson        =20
           Sorry about my e-mail address, but i'm trying to keep spam out=
,