bind 8.2.3 not caching?

Kevin Darcy kcd at daimlerchrysler.com
Tue Nov 19 23:44:03 UTC 2002

dave wrote:

> Hello,
>     This is a weird one. I'm running FreeBSD 4.7, it is serving dns to my
> internal network amongst other things. I've got an external domain with a
> registered IP. Rarely, but more frequently of late none of my internal boxes
> can get to my external domain and dns queries from the router are timing
> out. I can ping the IP so i know it's up. Now here's the weird part, if i do
> an ndc restart the problem goes away for a time, then it returns. And it
> only occurs with my domain, i can do everything else i have to do. If anyone
> has an idea on this please let me know.

What's the domain name? I suspect that the NS records in your zone don't match
what is in your delegation NS records, and that the zone NS records point to
non-working and/or unreachable nameservers (so the query always works the
*first* time, but when the leaf-node records time out of your cache, your
nameserver tries to refresh them from the non-working nameserver(s) and that's
where you're getting the timeout).