Can Current BIND be configured for IPv4 only??

Simon Waters Simon at wretched.demon.co.uk
Wed Nov 20 21:52:10 UTC 2002

John Colgan wrote:

> I am not liking the amount of unnecessary queries my DNS servers are doing
> for AAAA records.  Is there any way to configure BIND to only query for A,
> or to configure it to query for A first, then AAAA??

BIND only passes on the queries it receives (excepting finding
root servers and the like).

Depending on client OS, you can configure the client resolver
libraries to behave.

FreeBSD and OpenSSH (if compiled with IPv6 support) were
frequent culprits* for preferring IPv6 queries, both have
specific options to disable this behaviour, otherwise modern
*nix versions usually have relevant options in /etc/resolv.conf

 Simon

* culprit or ahead of their time, depends on your perspective