Cnames for root-domain

Kevin Darcy kcd at daimlerchrysler.com
Thu Nov 21 00:45:18 UTC 2002

Marius-Dieter Noetzel wrote:

> Hello,
>
> I want to configure my Bind 8.2.2 to accept cnames for the second level
> Domain.
> e.G. "@ IN CNAME test.domain.de"
> But when I use this, the Domain will be rejected.
>
> I found out that many NS accept this, but I have no access to the config, so
> I couldn't have a look on it.

It's illegal. When a name owns a CNAME record, it must own no records of any
other type. domain.de owns an SOA record and at least 2 NS records, right? Then
it cannot legally own a CNAME. The only legal way to do what you are
(apparently) trying to do is for the .de zone to contain a CNAME for domain.de
and also to delegate test.domain.de and any other names you have underneath
domain.de individually to your nameservers. You may ask them to do that, but I
doubt they'll comply...