IN SRV (was multiple cnames)

phn at icke-reklam.ipsec.nu phn at icke-reklam.ipsec.nu
Thu Nov 21 17:01:48 UTC 2002

Michael Reynolds <wshs_chat at yahoo.com> wrote:

> I'm familiar with the syntax of SRV, but what happens if I choose to
> load balance a port without a common service name? (ie: 1258)  Could I
> just use "_1258._tcp.something IN SRV 1 1 1258 somehost?"

Very interesting point. SRV deals with service names ...

You could invent a name "foobar", used by the application that asks
then create an SRV record for _foobar._tcp.something

In effect SRV makes the connection between service name and portnumber.

  Also, do A
> and SRV work together, or would I have to choose between one or the
> other?

Both.  SRV will have a FQDN as last argument, this still has to be
resolved.

--
Peter Håkanson