Changing Ips

phn at icke-reklam.ipsec.nu phn at icke-reklam.ipsec.nu
Thu Nov 21 17:08:27 UTC 2002

Harison Phinizy <harison at phinizy.org> wrote:

> If I am moving some servers and I want the Ips to propagate asap... What
> value should I change?  TTL or expire?

> Which of these to change to facilitate the fastest dns propagation--I desire
> an hour?

> (
>                                 2002112100      ; serial
>                                 3600            ; refresh
>                                 1800            ; retry
>                                 6048            ; expire
>                                 3600 )          ; minimum

If you want zone data ( A record for a specific server ) to have
short lifetime then set TTL for that record.

foo	300   IN  A  172.16.1.1
( gives a 5 minute TTL for this record only)

Make shure NOTIFY works among your servers, then you can safley
have "default TTL" in the order of days.

Expire is the time a slave will continue to answer if the master
is unreachable.

--
Peter Håkanson