bind cache issues?

Kevin Darcy kcd at daimlerchrysler.com
Thu Nov 21 21:21:35 UTC 2002

Dave wrote:

> Hello,
>     I've got a FreeBSD 4.7 box doing routing and internal dns. I'm having an
> issue every other day or so whereby when i atempt to contact my external
> domain from an internal box i am getting dns timeouts. If i restart bind
> this issue goes away for another two days. This is only with my external
> domain, all other dns queries work properly. It is very unusual, i'm
> assuming bind is either flushing or not completely flushing/reloading it's
> cache, does anyone have any suggestions?

I wouldn't assume that at all. If that were the case, wouldn't everyone be
seeing that for random domains all of the time?

The TTL on the A records in your domain wouldn't happen to be set to 2 days,
would they? Sounds like you might have some bad NS records in your zone, so
once the A records expire from the cache, you can't re-fetch them without
forcing your nameserver to go back up and follow the delegations again (which
is why a restart "fixes" the problem).

If you had let us know what the real domain was, then we could have already
tested this theory.