Windows 2000 BIND 9.2.1 HELP

Danny Mayer mayer at gis.net
Sat Nov 23 15:29:46 UTC 2002

At 03:51 PM 11/22/02, Ryan Chaney wrote:
>We recently decided to go to BIND 9. So I downloaded BIND 9.2.1 for the
>ISC.org webpage. Im having a little bit of a problem.
>
>I set up a DNS backup box to test this is. I installed Bind 9.2.1 on the
>D: drive... (D:\DNS\). I go to start the service, and it will not run...
>It gives me this error message:
>Could not start the ISC Bind Service on local computer
>
>I thought I needed the libbind.dll file in the \WINNT\SYSTEM32 folder, so
>I put it there... and still doesnt work. I have also copied my named.conf
>file to the \DNS\ETC folder... and still doesnt work.
>
>Does this have to be installed on the C:\ only to run properly?????

First of all you need to read the release notes. The BINDInstall utility places
all of the required files in the correct places. You also need to read the
application event log and see why it died. 9% of the time the BIND service
won't start because you didn't create a named.conf in D:\DNS\etc. You
also need to check the both the named.conf file and the zone files are
okay. You can run the named-checkconf utility against named.conf and
named-checkzone against each zone. Both utilities come with the install
kit.

What does the application event log say.

BIND doesn't care where you place the files as long as they are acccessible.

Danny