network load problem - please help me solve this mystery

Ronald F. Guilmette rfg at monkeys.com
Sun Nov 24 07:35:09 UTC 2002

In message <Rb_D9.94468$P31.50514 at rwcrnsc53>, you wrote:

>dig @ns1.easydns.com relays.monkeys.com NS
>;; AUTHORITY SECTION:
>relays.monkeys.com.     1D IN NS        nl.linux.org.
>relays.monkeys.com.     1D IN NS        ns1.monkeys.com.
>
>ditto ns2.easydns.com remote1 remote2 ns2 ns1
>
>dig @nl.linux.org relays.monkeys.com ns
>;; flags: qr aa rd ra; QUERY: 1, ANSWER: 2, AUTHORITY: 0, ADDITIONAL: 0
>(no authority section here)
>;; ANSWER SECTION:
>relays.monkeys.com.     1D IN NS        ns1.monkeys.com.
>relays.monkeys.com.     1D IN NS        nl.linux.org.
>
>5/6 of the time a server with nothing in the cache will find out that
>it needs to go to either ns1 or nl.
>
>It looks like all the servers think there are only two authoritative servers
>for the relays.monkeys.com zone and to make things worse nl.linux.org doesn't
>fully believe it is authoritative.

Yes.  I see both of these problems, and I am endeavoring to correct
both problems, even as we speak.  (I've just asked easydns to start
secondarying the relays.monkeys.com base zone, and I removed nl.linux.org
as an NS for this zone and replaced it with a list of the easyDNS servers.)

>So it does look to me like ns1.monkeys.com will get it all as the servers
>walk down to proxies.relays.monkeys.com.  Only after they arrive at the
>fourth floor down will they discover the other nameservers like newdream
>etc.

Right.  But they _should_ discover that, eventually, right?

And thereafter, they _should_ distribute further queries among _all_ of
the registered NSes zone the proxies.relays.monkeys.com zone right?

But it seems like that may not be happening, and that everybody is
instead just banking away (only) at ns1.monkeys.com.

Assuming so, I would like to understand why.

>Even then some of those servers don't fully believe they are
>authoritative for the zone even though they have data for it.

This comment I don't understand at all.

Are you saying that you've checked all of the secondaries, and that some
of them don't answer as if they are authoritative?  If so, which ones?

Can you please elaborate on this?  I really want to understand what you
are doing to check the sanity of the various secondaries that I have
set up for the proxies.relays.monkeys.com zone.