Caching only DNS server ---nlookup Errors , Help please..

Munn, Stuart SITI-IT-DIETS Stuart.Munn at shell.com
Mon Nov 25 11:52:36 UTC 2002

I hope someone can help.

I have been asked to set up a caching only DNS server for our site. The
reason is that we are hoping it will speed up dns queries for our local
systems and users. Our two main dns servers are located in another part of
the country but are connected with a decent WAN link.

I am a novice to DNS but have a few years experience with Solaris. I have
started to read the wonderful DNS Bind book, but my boss wants this up and
running quickly!! (don't they all).

The two main DNS servers are NT systems (boo) and I believe they are
authoritive for our local domain which is say "ziep.angus.com" the DNS
servers are: dns1.europe.angus.com and dns2.europe.angus.com. The local dns
server is localdns.ziep.angus.com.

I am using Solaris 2.8 and Bind version BIND 8.2.2-P5.

I have been to Suns doc online site and also looked at the info in the bind
book to set up my config files as below.

When I start up in.named I get the following error in the messages file.

ID 295310 daemon.info] sysquery: nlookup error on ?

DNS queries work OK on the local dns server as they point to DNS1 and DNS2,
but if I set up resolv.conf on local systems to point to
localdns.ziep.shell.com, they timeout and I get the error :
*** Can't find server name for address 129.6.200.202: Server failed
*** Default servers are not available

Is this because my local dns server is in a different domain?

Well I'm not really sure what this means, the first thing I do is search the
internet, but I can't find any real explanation, Has anyone got some help
for me? I really would appreciate it.

I am also downloading the latest version of bind just in case I get advised
to "use the latest version"! what are the main advantages of bind 9.2.
?

Hoping for some help, in the meantime I am going back to the O'reilly
book!...

Thanks

Stuart Munn

==================

/etc/named.conf
======================================
options {
        directory  "/var/named";
};

zone "0.0.127.in-addr.arpa" {
        type master;
        file "db.127.0.0";
};

zone "." {
        type hint;
        file "db.cache";
};

file /var/named/db.cache
;
@    IN    SOA  localdns.ziep.angus.com.   root.localdns.ziep.angus.com.  (

                 2002201104       ;  serial number (YYYYDDMM##)
                 10800            ;  refresh after 3 hours
                 3600             ;  retry after 1 hour
                 604800           ;  expire after 1 week
                 86400 )          ;  minimum TTL of 1 day
;
localdns.ziep.angus.com.      999999     IN    A    129.6.200.202
;
europe.angus.com.                IN    NS   dns1.europe.angus.com.
11.26.129.in-addr.arpa          IN    NS   dns1.europe.angus.com.
dns1.europe.angus.com.   IN    A    129.26.11.20
;
europe.angus.com.                IN    NS   dns2.europe.angus.com.
11.26.129.in-addr.arpa          IN    NS   dns2.europe.angusl.com.
dns2.europe.angus.com.   IN    A    129.26.11..21

file /var/named/db.127.0.0

 $TTL 3h
0.0.127.in-addr.arpa.   IN SOA  localdns.ziep.angus.com.
root.localdns.ziep.angus.com. (
                                2            ; Serial
                                360000        ; Refresh
                                30000         ; Retry
                                3600000       ; Expire
                                360000 )      ; Minimum
0.0.127.in-addr.arpa.   IN NS   localdns.ziep.angus.com.
1.0.0.127.in-addr.arpa. IN PTR  localhost.