Always Reply with Same IP

Joseph S D Yao jsdy at center.osis.gov
Mon Nov 25 18:55:41 UTC 2002

On Sun, Nov 24, 2002 at 09:51:08PM +0000, James Decker wrote:
> How do I configure a DNS server to always reply with the same IP address
> regardless of the request it receives?

(1) Make sure you are running the latest version of BIND - currently
9.2.1.  [This is universal Step 1 for all procedures.]

(2) Tell your name server it is authoritative for the root domain
(".").

(3) In the zone file for the root domain, enter the line:

*		A	your.IP.add.ress

I am assuming that you are configuring this for a machine with no
network connectivity at all, so all you will need in this world is the
one IP address?

--
Joe Yao				jsdy at center.osis.gov - Joseph S. D. Yao
OSIS Center Systems Support					EMT-B