MX Record

David Botham dns at botham.net
Mon Nov 25 21:00:24 UTC 2002

If
> so
> am I correct in assuming you need to add another MX record that looks
like
> this
>
> SubDomain.DomainA.com.    IN    MX     10     mail.Domain.com

(except for the fact that you left off the trailing dot after
mail.Domain.com. <- dot is really important)
Yes, the above would be the preferred method.  However, if the above MX
RR does not exist either of the following would work (in the order
listed):

SubDomain.DomainA.com.    IN    A     192.168.1.5
(if there is no MX RR for the name in question, if there is an A RR,
that will be used)

*.DomainA.com.		  IN	  MX 10 mail.Domain.com.
(if there is no MX RR *AND* there is no A RR, then, if a wildcard exists
it will be used)

Be careful when you use wildcards, they don't act the way you might
think they would.  Read DNS & BIND, 4th Edition, pages 341 and 503.

Thanks,

Dave...