No A records to match NS records

Mark_Andrews at isc.org Mark_Andrews at isc.org
Mon Nov 25 23:00:44 UTC 2002

> > Is there anything I can do to allow resolution for domains
> > whose admins refuse, for whatever reason, to place A records
> > to match their NS records.
> >
> > The domain in question is avecommerce.net.
> >
> > Message:
> >
> > http://marc.theaimsgroup.com/?l=bind-users&m=103156753812664&w=2
> >
> > Appears to address this very question, to which Mark Andrews
> > responded:
> >
> > > How can I fix that?
> >
> >   Contact the zone administators and get them to fix the broken
> >   configuration.
> >
> > Aside from that, which would be great but they refuse to acknowledge
> > this is a configuration issue on their end,
> >
> > is there anything I can tell bind 8.3.3 that will help?
> >
> > The fact that most of the internet seems to still resolve their
> > domain doesn't help matters.
> >
> > --
> > Chris Linstruth <cjl at qnet.com>
>
> 	Well you could create zones on your caching servers that
> 	correspond to the names of the the nameservers and populate
> 	them with the glue from the parent zone.
>
> 	ns1.avecommerce.net. 0 IN SOA <your-nameserver> <your-email> (
> 			              1 3600 1200 3600000 3600 )
> 			     0 IN NS <your-nameserver>
> 			     0 IN A 216.98.138.60
>
> 	This does mean that you need to create some method of tracking
> 	changes to the glue. etc.
>
> 	Mark
> --
> Mark Andrews, Internet Software Consortium
> PHONE: +61 2 9871 4742                 INTERNET: Mark.Andrews at isc.org

	You could also use a forward zone.

	zone "avecommerce.net" {
		type forward;
		forward only;
		forwarders { 216.98.138.60; 216.98.155.2; 216.98.156.2; };
	};

	Note: neither of these "solutions" scale.

	If the AVECOMMERCE.NET doesn't clean up its delegation after,
	being informed that it is broken, it deserves to loose business.
	However you don't deserve to loose you business due to
	AVECOMMERCE.NET's sloppy practices.

	Mark
PHONE: +61 2 9871 4742                 INTERNET: Mark.Andrews at isc.org