BIND 8.3.x v.s. BIND 8.2.x

盧俊龍 s6577 at du.net.tw
Tue Nov 26 12:49:09 UTC 2002

Dear Sir:

    Is there anything that could help my name server with BIND 8.3.4 ?

    That's interesting. My BIND 8.3.4 couldn't  resolve
"www.1000years.com.tw" while others' name servers with BIND 8.2.4 could.
After I traced the packets DNS sent and received by tcpdump, I found after
BIND 8.2.4 sent query of the A record of www.1000years.com.tw to
c.twnic.net.tw, it finish its work. It could tell me about
www.1000years.com.tw 's A record!!!
On the other hand, BIND 8.3.4 really sent query to the Name Server
(210.58.101.193) of 1000years.com.tw , but it couldn't answer the correct
IP. ( because 210.58.101.193 couldn't answer correctly! )

I really knew that the configuration of Name server of 1000years.com.tw was
wrong !! So I decided to adjust my config file.

After I set ' fetch-glue  no' (  default is yes ) in the config file, My
BIND 8.3.4 could work correctly! It never sent query to the Name Server of
1000years.com.tw again! Following is the 'fetch-glue' option's direction:

-------------------
fetch-glue
If yes (the default), the server will fetch "glue" resource records it
doesn't have when constructing the additional data section of a response.
fetch-glue no can be used in conjunction with recursion no to prevent the
server's cache from growing or becoming corrupted (at the cost of requiring
more work from the client).

well, if BIND's behavior of this kind of query were really affected by the
option 'fetch-glue', why BIND 8.2.4 always work correctly whether
'fetch-glue' is yes or no ?????