Changing entries in secondary DNS server

Kevin Darcy kcd at daimlerchrysler.com
Tue Nov 26 23:47:26 UTC 2002

sudhakar wrote:

> Hi,
> I've the Primary DNS server down and I need to change the entries in a zone
> file. Can I do changes in the secondary DNS server directly and what could
> be the issues that I can expect if I do those changes.
> I'd appreciate your suggestions in this regard.

I'd redefine the zones as master zones and just comment out the
"masters" clauses.

If you use Dynamic Update, you may also need to a) replicate whatever
"allow-update" ACLs the real master has, and/or b) update the MNAME fields of
your SOA records, so that the Dynamic Updates will go to the right server.