DNS and TCP

Sorkin, David (David) DSORKIN at lucent.com
Wed Oct 2 16:05:18 UTC 2002

I've seen large SRV records that require TCP. These are used somehow by W2K and help indicate what services are available on W2K servers. I've administratively disabled zone transfers using ACLs but disabling tcp/53 could give defense in depth. There are 13 root servers because that number of NS records fits in a single udp packet. As far as network security I think that udp presents more problems since it is connectionless and can also be used to probe networks via inbound udp leaks.

--
David Sorkin <dsorkin at lucent.com>