SERVFAIL Problem

Joseph Begumisa begj at cfi.co.ug
Thu Oct 3 08:33:54 UTC 2002

On Thu, 3 Oct 2002, lunai redim wrote:

> Hi
> I have probably a simple problem but i cant solve it.
> I use Bind 9.1
> I think the follow Zonefile comprised the problem.
>
> $ORIGIN umgehauen.de
> $TTL 86400
> @ IN SOA ns.umgehauen.de. test.test.de. (
>                 10
>                 10800
>                 3600
>                 604800
>                 86400 )
>
>                 IN NS  ns.umgehauen.de.
>                 IN NS  www.umgehauen.de.
>
> localhost          IN A            127.0.0.1
> wormhole        IN A            217.160.134.116
> www               IN A            217.160.134.116
> ns                    IN A            217.160.134.116
> ipv4                 IN A            217.160.134.116
>
> the Entry in the named.conf:
>
> zone "umgehauen.de" in {
>         type master;
>         file "umgehauen.de";
> };
>
> can anybody help me ?

just for future problems like this, you can use named-checkzone to check
your zone files for errors.  in this case this is what it gives which
tells you where the problem is as Mark pointed out:

nemesis# named-checkzone umgehauen.de test.zone

dns_master_load: test.zone:3: SOA record not at top of zone (umgehauen.de.umgehauen.de)
zone umgehauen.de/IN: loading master file test.zone: not at top of zone

Joseph.