FW: NOTIFY-triggered Auto-slaving

Kevin Darcy kcd at daimlerchrysler.com
Fri Oct 4 01:48:26 UTC 2002

David Botham wrote:

> [...]

Dave,
          To be perfectly honest, I think the things most likely to fly
here, in descending order, are:

1. not touching the protocol and just enhancing implementation-specific
handling of NOTIFY or some other protocol feature (as I have proposed)
2. overloading an existing extension like NOTIFY (as was considered -- and
rejected -- when NOTIFY was being developed).
3. specifying a brand-new extension (as you are proposing, if I interpret
you correctly).

It's not that I have come to a final decision of whether a protocol change
and/or a new extension is ultimately The Right Way to implement
auto-slaving, it's just that I doubt any new non-DNSSEC protocol-change
proposal will ever make it out of the Working Group, given the current
membership thereof and their predilections. Therefore I choose the path I
view as most likely to succeed.