ORGIN Whats the use?

Cricket Liu cricket at menandmice.com
Tue Oct 8 21:19:50 UTC 2002

> Both work. but in different ways:
>
> >True, but shouldn't I create a new zone file for this subdomain?
> >
> > zone "subdomain.domain.com" IN {
> >   type master;
> >   file "db.subdomain.domain.com";
> > };
> >

> But this make subdomain.domain.com a independant " domain". it is not a
> subdomain anymore. you define everything in db.subdomain.domain.com. If it
> will work or not depends on if subdomain.domain.com has been registered in
> some internet domain name registrar, i.e., if this domain name is valid
> domain name.

It's actually an independent zone, not domain.  And, assuming you run
domain.com, whether it works or not depends on whether you correctly
add the records to domain.com to delegate subdomain.domain.com, as
well as the correct records to subdomain.domain.com to make it a zone
(i.e., an SOA record and one or more NS records).

> > > $ORIGIN  subdomain.domain.com.
> > > hello       IN  A   ip address
>
> This works in the way of  " subdomain".  domain.com is the parent of
> subdomain.domain.com. you don't need register  the subdomain name.

In this case, subdomain.domain.com is part of the domain.com zone.

cricket

Men & Mice
DNS Software, Training and Consulting
www.menandmice.com

The DNS and BIND Cookbook, coming October 2002!
http://www.oreilly.com/catalog/dnsbindckbk/