sysquery: findns error

Cricket Liu cricket at menandmice.com
Thu Oct 10 00:19:34 UTC 2002

> Can someone tell me what this error message means?
>
> "sysquery: findns error (NXDOMAIN) on
> server.mydomain.com.0.0.0.0.in-addr.arpa"
>
> I just set up inverse DNS with my ISP (SBC/Pacific Bell) and now I get
> this error message repeated once for each entry in my zone files.
>
> If you need to see the zone files I can attach them.

It means that the name server wasn't able to find an address for your
name server because you forgot to put a dot at the end of its name
in the zone data file.

See also http://www.menandmice.com/docs/named_messages.htm#idx_s.

cricket

Men & Mice
DNS Software, Training and Consulting
www.menandmice.com

The DNS and BIND Cookbook, coming October 2002!
http://www.oreilly.com/catalog/dnsbindckbk/