reverse DNS problem

Mark_Andrews at isc.org Mark_Andrews at isc.org
Thu Oct 10 14:06:49 UTC 2002

> Hello,
>
> I am currently having a problem with reverse DNS where my provider
> doesn't know from where the data comes from, if I do a dig on the IP
> address I get the following result:
>
> dig -x 216.187.90.119
> ;; Got answer:
> ;; flags: qr rd ra; QUERY: 1, ANSWER: 1, AUTHORITY: 0, ADDITIONAL: 0
>
> ;; QUESTION SECTION:
> ;119.90.187.216.in-addr.arpa.   IN      PTR
>
> ;; ANSWER SECTION:
> 119.90.187.216.in-addr.arpa. 3599 IN    CNAME   lord.pentragon.net.
>
> ;; Query time: 1061 msec
> ;; SERVER: 10.0.0.15#53(10.0.0.15)
> ;; WHEN: Thu Oct 10 11:46:25 2002
> ;; MSG SIZE  rcvd: 77
>
> obviously this is quite bad but the problem, now I would like to know
> from where does this information come from ? Which DNS server does
> answer that ? How can I find this out ?

	dns0.citeglobe.com

	You follow the resolution process by hand starting from the
	root servers and working down until you find the server that
	is giving you the record.   Note you need all the servers at
	a given level as they may give inconsistant answers.  Note
	also that you may get a cached answer.

	dig 119.90.187.216.in-addr.arpa +norec @a.root-servers.net
	dig 119.90.187.216.in-addr.arpa +norec @ARROWROOT.ARIN.NET
	dig 119.90.187.216.in-addr.arpa +norec @NS1VAN.PEER1.NET