Active Directory zone delegation on BIND 9

Cricket Liu cricket at menandmice.com
Fri Oct 11 00:47:33 UTC 2002

Tom Maddox wrote:
> Anyway, I'm setting up Active Directory to (theoretically) interact
> with BIND 9 on Linux.  Specifically, I want to delegate the four
> zones, _udp, _tcp, _msdcs, and _sites, to the Win2K box.  It looks
> like DNS is configured properly on the Win2K server, in that DNS is
> running, dynamic updates are permitted, and the name table appears to
> have all the appropriate entries for AD.  Here's what I've got in the
> master zone file:
>
> $ORIGIN example.com
> _msdcs                  NS      wbrdc
> _sites                  NS      wbrdc
> _tcp                    NS      wbrdc
> _udp                    NS      wbrdc
>
> "wbrdc" is the name of the domain controller that's performing name
> service.
>
> I'm clearly missing something, and it's probably something stupid.
> Any thoughts on what it is?

Well, does wbrdc.example.com have an A record?  Are you sure
the Microsoft DNS Server is authoritative for just _msdcs.example.com,
_sites.example.com, _tcp.example.com, and _udp.example.com, rather
than example.com?

cricket

Men & Mice
DNS Software, Training and Consulting
www.menandmice.com

The DNS and BIND Cookbook, available now!
http://www.oreilly.com/catalog/dnsbindckbk/